Allow me a few words about me. I am a german guy, so my English may not be perfect but your homemade sausages will be it! 😉 If you want to learn how to make sausage of German type you are in the right place.
Before I show you how to sausage let’s take a look at what tools you need.
The first and most important is, of course, a guide about how to make sausage and good homemade sausage recipes. Both you can get on this website.
What in addition to a good guide that shows you how to make sausage do you need?
Let’s start with the materials that should be found in every household and do not have to be bought separately. You do not have to have everything exactly as I have listed it here you can always improvise.
Material list for making homemade sausage in german style:
- The most important thing is a good guide about „how to make sausage“
- Large cutting board about 0.8 m x 0.4 m would be ideal but it fits also a smaller one.
- knife with a slim blade (ca. 15 cm long) to loosen the bones and prune the ham.
- Meat Slicer (20-25 cm long and thick blade) to make Schnitzel, Cordon Bleu and for the coarse cuts of the meat.
- Large bowls or buckets to separate the cuts and individual blanks or finished sausage meat. Buckets offer the advantage that they offer a large capacity but take only minimal space in the storage. It goes without saying that these buckets should be used exclusively for the processing of food.
- Adhesive labels and writing material (for labeling the buckets or the finished sausage glasses).
- Spices best ground freshly and until this process kept in their original form. So they keep their aroma much better.
- Kitchen scale (to weigh the meat and ham).
- A digital scale that can weigh to 0,1 grams.
- Jars for the homemade sausage that shall be preserved by cooking.
These „helpers“ are useful for making homemade sausage but in the mentioned execution not absolutely necessary:
Electric meat grinder, if you don’t have one already it also goes pretty well with a hand-operated meat grinder.
Kitchen-machine or mixer to mix ground meat and the spices, if necessary, that also goes pretty well by hand.
A big pot to cook the sausage in jars and all the homemade sausage which needs to be cooked in the sausage casing.
You should at least have these utensils to make a good homemade sausage. And of course, a good guide to learn how to make sausage and how to avoid mistakes.
If you have at least these tools you can make simple homemade sausages such as bratwurst and e.g. fill them in jars instead of intestines and then cook them. Cooked sausage is long-lasting and without refrigeration and tastes great.
Ok, let’s expand this list to include the things that have to be bought extra in most cases.
a list of the rest of the things you need for making your own homemade sausage.
These are all things that are not necessarily to be found in a normal household, and before you can start to make homemade sausage yourself they have yet to be purchased.
Once you have learned how to make sausage and done it, you never want to eat any other sausage again.
Because the taste and the quality of homemade sausage are just wonderful.
So it pays to make the investment to learn how to make sausage
And also the tools you need to do it. Especially since you can save a lot of money if you make your own homemade sausage.
For making homemade sausage you need the following special utensils:
- Sharpening steel or a special disk for the grinding machine to have always sharp knives because that is half the battle of making homemade sausage.
- Letter scale to measure the spices and salt exactly. Best it should be able to weigh as exact as 0,01 gram.
- Spice mill, it is needed to grind the spices very fresh yourself. This will give your homemade sausage even better spice and more flavor. If you learn how to make sausage you have another advantage: The health-promoting properties of the fresh spices are included in the sausage. Especially when the spices are freshly ground and have not been ground months ago and get bader and bader while standing on the shelves of grocery stores. If you feel the effort to grind your own spices is too great, you can alternatively buy ready-made spice blends for each sausage variety.
- Sausage casings and possibly intestines
- Sausage-filler to fill the sausage mass into the intestines and sausage casings or into jars.
- Smoker or smokehouse, I will soon post some instructions for building a smoking cabinet. If you want to learn how to make sausage it is also very important to acquire the skill of smoking. Sausage yarn to tightly close the homemade sausages at the ends.
- A Landjäger-press or alternatively two large boards (about 0.5 x 0.45 m or a second cutting board). Some wooden sticks 0,5 x 0,5 inch and as long as the boards to bring the Landjäger in their shape. 2-4 small screw clamps or weights to bring the Landjäger in their form. How this is done I will tell you in one of the following posts about how to make sausage.
- Filling tubes in different calibers to fill the sausage mass into different casings.
So that’s it, then, if you have acquired all these items, you are ready to learn how to make sausage and soon make your own homemade sausage.