In this manual, I will show you how to make sausage that is called Onion-Mettwurst. It is a German raw sausage. Making raw sausages is fun and even possible in your own kitchen. I’ll show you how to do it in this manual. And of course, I will give you a good homemade sausage recipe to do it 🙂
How to make sausage of this type, some basics.
In the raw sausages, a distinction is made between two categories.The sliceable raw sausage and the spreadable raw sausage. Spreadable raw sausage is easier to produce and less can go wrong.
In this post, I will start with the explanation of how to make sausage that is spreadable. On the more elaborate production of sliceable raw sausage, I enter the following contributions or you can inform yourself in my book „How to make sausage„.
The basics about how to make sausage, like these
For raw sausages, it is preferable to use the meat of some older animals. This is not so watery and the sausage is, therefore, better preserved. Raw sausages consist only of raw meat and fat. If you produce raw sausage you must pay high attention to hygiene.
Because the sausage meat is usually chopped very finely and provides a large surface area for bacteria. Spreadable raw sausages are not so durable. It is recommended to freeze them as soon as they are ready.
When you produce raw sausage, it is very important that the Wolf knife is absolutely sharp. The meat should be slightly frozen before grinding. So that it does not heat up so much during the grinding process.
The general procedure of how to make sausage, that is raw and spreadable
- Free the flesh of tendons and silver skin.
- Cut the meat into 2 x 2 cm wide strips so that they are well grasped by the meat grinder. These strips of meat are frozen for about 1 hour.
- When making raw sausage, the salt and spices are already added directly during the grinding process.
- So the sausage meat is already well-mixed without long stirring and kneading. Therefore it gets not so warm in the further processing process.
And now you will get the homemade sausage recipe for a very famous German raw sausage. It tastes very well and it is easy to produce. I guess you will love it!
Wild garlic and onion homemade sausage recipe:
Meat types per 1 kg finished homemade sausage:
- 700 grams of lean pork belly with some fat on it
- 300 grams of lean pork
The spices for 1 kg homemade sausage:
- 20 grams of natural salt
- 2.5 grams of ground white pepper
- 30 grams of onions or optionally 9g sterilized onions (onion granules)
- Fresh finely chopped wild garlic at will
Preparation of this homemade sausage:
- The meat and belly are grounded well cooled through the 4.5mm disc.
- Mix everything for a few minutes strongly until it gets a light binding.
- Fill the sausage meat with a sausage filler in sausage casings.
That’s it! 🙂 The sausage is ready to be served as a spread on a slice of good bread.
The sausage is only savable for about 2-3 days, therefore, consume it quickly, or freeze it immediately after production.Many more homemade sausage recipes to make raw sausage can be found on my website.