With the right homemade sausage recipes, making liver sausage is very easy. How fast and easy it is and what you need to know you will find on this page. The homemade sausage recipes are all german style, I hope you enjoy them.
Basics to proceed homemade recipes for liver sausage
For making liver sausage you need only quite a few tools. The absolute standard equipment is perfect, which makes it easy especially for beginners.
To make this homemade liver sausage you need the following tools:
- sharp knife
- cutting board
- Meat grinder with 2 mm slice electric or manual
- large cooking pot to cook the sausage in jars (if desired)
- Sausage filler or an attachment for the meat grinder in order to fill the sausage meat in the sausage casing
- If desired, a smoke chamber this is not required the liver sausage tastes un-smoked too
- And of course, good homemade sausage recipes, that’s what you get from me 😉
One of the most refined homemade sausage recipes
Smoked pork liver sausage German style (Swabian)
Ingredients for 1 kg finished homemade liver sausage:
- 450-gram liver
- 450-gram of pork bacon
- 100-gram of onion
- 2-gram of black ground pepper
- 21-gram salt (best natural salt)
- 2-gram ground allspice
This sausage recipe for liver sausage, in my opinion, is one of the particularly refined homemade sausage recipes and unique in taste. Because smoking brings a very special flavor with it. But judge for yourself and leave a comment on how this and the other homemade sausage recipes for liver sausage worked for you.
Preparation of the homemade liver sausage:
Clean the liver, remove skins, and remove the bile ducts very cleanly! That’s the most important thing when you proceed homemade sausage recipes for liver sausage! If you are still untrained, you should let the butcher do it. Because if you do not do that properly, it can spoil the whole liver sausage.
Then cut everything in stripes, as seen in the picture below. The image does not come from the liverwurst itself. But shows the principle of how the meat should be prepared when you proceed with all homemade sausage recipes.
Chop the pork bacon and leave it in a frying pan, put the liver strips over it and cook all together. Sprinkle with pepper and cook for about 15 minutes. Cut the onions into small pieces so that they fit well in the meat grinder. Ground the bacon, liver, and onions through the 2mm slice. Mix the sausage mixture with the spices vigorously. With all homemade sausage recipes, it is important to mix the ingredients very well.
The last steps of the homemade sausage recipes:
Fill the whole mass in large sausage casings of caliber 40 natural. Make the liver sausages about 20-30 cm long.
Of course, those who do not want such big calibers can make them smaller. That’s the nice thing when you make (liver) sausage yourself, you have everything in your own hands and get it the way you want it! You can create your own homemade sausage recipes that fit your needs exactly 🙂
Tie well on both sides and brew at 176° F for 60 minutes. Allow the sausages to dry after scalding.
Smoke the superficially dried sausages 2 times cold. If you can’t or do not want to smoke it, the liverwurst tastes excellent too.
As you can see the making of homemade liver sausage with the right homemade sausage recipes is a breeze!
#3 of the best homemade sausage recipes for liver sausage
Liver sausage East German-style
The ingredients for this homemade liver sausage:
- 600 grams of pork liver
- 80 grams offal of pork
- 240 grams of pork belly
- 80 grams onion
- 1 teaspoon of marjoram
- 1 pinch of ground cloves
- 1 gram of ground black pepper
- 1 gram of ground mustard seeds
- 19-gram salt
The bile ducts must be removed cleanly, otherwise, the liver sausage later could taste bitter. Pay big attention to this step with all homemade sausage recipes that contain liver.
- First, chop the onion as fine as possible.
- Clean and skin the liver and innards (remove bile ducts!).
- Offal, boil the liver and belly in hot water at 176 ° F for 8-10 min.
- Cut the giblets, liver and pork belly into wolf-sized pieces (best stripes of ~ 1 inch)
- Grind the meat and belly through the 3 mm disc.
- Mix the minced meat with the onion and the spices thoroughly.
Now, as usual, the penultimate act of the homemade sausage recipes: The finished sausage mass has to be filled into the casings. If you want the liver sausage in intestines, fill the sausage mass with the sausage filler or the meat grinder in natural casings caliber 40-60 mm (1,57-2,6 inches).
If you do not have a sausage filler or if you want to preserve the homemade liverwurst in jars, just fill the mass into jars of 220 or 440 ml. Make sure to fill the glasses only up to 0,75 inches below the edge, as otherwise, the jars may burst during cooking because the fat in the sausage mass will expand.
When you have filled the liverwurst in intestines, put them in 176 degrees (F) warm water, and boil them per 0,4 inches diameter for 10 minutes. Take the finished sausages out of the hot water and cool them down in cold water. Remove the fat on the casing.
That’s it! All homemade sausage recipes for liver sausage german style are easy to proceed with. And the liver sausage in casings can already be eaten. The liverwurst in jars of 220 ml has to boil for 90 minutes at 212° F. If you use jars of 440 ml the liver sausage has to boil for 120 minutes. Then let the sausage in jars cool down quickly.
One of the tastiest homemade sausage recipes for liver sausage
Ingredients for 1 kg of liver sausage:
- 560 g of lean pork
- 220 g pork or veal liver
- 120 g pork belly
- 100 g pig heart
- 19 g salt
- 1 g ground black pepper
- 1 g ground allspice
- 0.5 g ground thyme
- 0.5 g of grated Thuringian marjoram
Final steps with homemade sausage recipes for liver sausage
- Clean and skin the liver and heart cleanly. Most important step with all homemade sausage recipes for liver sausage: clear bile ducts carefully!
- Add the heart in unsalted broth for 10 minutes cook at 80-85 ° C.
- Cut the meat, liver, heart, and pork belly in stripes
- Grind the meat products through the 3 mm slice.
- Mix the meat with the spices and salt thoroughly until it binds (approx. 5-7 minutes).
- The finished mass is traditionally made in a natural casing, caliber 40 or sterile intestine caliber 40 filled.
- The liver sausages are made about 15-20 cm long.
- Brew the sausages in boiler broth at 75-80 ° C for 40 minutes.
- Check the hot sausages for air bubbles, if available, insert a needle.
- Rinse off the sausages with hot water to remove them from fat.
- Then cool them down in cold water
More homemade sausage recipes and instructions can be found on my website. I will publish more at irregular intervals.