Howdy, here is one of my favorite Homemade sausage recipes. It is for a Bratwurst Nuremberg style in Germany it is called Nürnberger Bratwurst. Allow me a few words about me: I am Germanys #1 instructor about how to make sausage. My English may not be perfect but your homemade sausages will be it! 😉
Tools to proceed most homemade sausage recipes:
If you have the following tools you will already be able to do the most sausages in your own kitchen
- A cutting board. It should rather be bigger than a mall one. So you can work better and faster. It can be of wood or plastic.
- A sharp knife. It is one of the most important things that it is really sharp. You can work much better than with a blunt one. With blunt knives, you injure yourself much easier because you can easily slip off and have to spend much more power. if you slip then the injuries are usually big. Believe me or not every butcher can confirm that to you.
- A meat grinder. It does not matter if electric or hand-operated.
- For this homemade sausage recipe, you need a 3mm disk.
- Some sausage casings to fill the sausage mass. No sausage casing no sausage 😉
- An alternative is to fill the sausage mass into jars. You can preserve the finished sausage by boiling it. So it can be stored for a few months without cooling. That is very convenient 🙂
- A sausage filler. Best one of stainless steel. Such ones of plastic are worth little and you will annoy you about it.
- A big pot to boil the homemade sausage in the jars.
The Ingredients for this homemade sausage recipe for Nürnberger Bratwurst:
The meat for 1 Kilogram Nürnberger Bratwurst:
- 250 grams of lean beef (degreased cleanly because beef fat tastes cold sometimes a little bit peculiar)
- 750 g of streaky pork (any cuts are suitable for Bratwurst)
The Spices for 1 Kilogram of Nürnberger Bratwurst:
- 20-gram of salt. Best natural salt without sodium nitrite (pickling salt)
- 2.3-gram black pepper finely ground
- 0.5-gram mace finely ground
- 0.25-gram dried ginger finely ground
- 1 tablespoon of marjoram rubbed
How this homemade sausage recipe is done:
- Free the pieces of meat from cartilage and tendons, do this very carefully. There is nothing more annoying than biting on cartilage, fiber or silver skin. If you want to make a good homemade Nürnberger Bratwurst, the later, unadulterated enjoyment should be worth this little extra effort! That should be done with all homemade sausage recipes.
- Now mix the meat with the salt and the spices. Then grind the meat through the 3 mm slice and mix the sausage mass well until it starts to bind.
- Fill the finished homemade sausage mass in intestines and turn off every 10 cm.
- If you like, you can also fill the Nürnberger Bratwurst into jars and cook it. Fill the jars only 1-2 cm under the edge, the fatter the sausage meat, the more it will expand when you boil it. Boil the jars (200ml) for 90 minutes. Then let the sausage jars cool down quickly.
- The finished homemade sausages in the intestine are ready to eat immediately, but if you want, you can smoke them cold for about 6-8 hours.
That’s it! Nürnberger Bratwurst is one of the easiest homemade sausage recipes and it is worth to try it out.
More homemade sausage recipes can be found on this page: Homemade sausage recipes